external groups

Alex Hamann
Adding to my previous post: external groups do not display their
content correctly for me.

Alex

Re: external groups

Adam R. Maxwell

On Thursday, September 25, 2008, at 11:10AM, "Alex Hamann" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>Adding to my previous post: external groups do not display their
>content correctly for me.

Can you be more specific?  What is not displayed correctly?  What is the encoding of the file?  Does it open correctly in a text editor?

Re: external groups

Maxwell, Adam R

Am 25.09.2008 um 21:34 schrieb Maxwell, Adam R:

> On 09/25/08 11:10, "Alex Hamann"
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Adding to my previous post: external groups do not display their
>> content correctly for me.
>
> Can you be more specific?  What is not displayed correctly?  What
> is the
> encoding of the file?  Does it open correctly in a text editor?

Ok, this is how it goes:
I have a large Bib-file with 2 external groups. I started adding
about 20 new items. After doing that, I had a look at those external
groups. They now displayed only those items I had just added to the
main bib file. The actual content of the external files was gone (not
in the file, just the way BibDesk showed them).
When I tried to select the Library, again the content was incomplete.
After reverting back to the latest official release it all displays
correct.

Alex

Re: external groups

Christiaan Hofman

On 25 Sep 2008, at 10:23 PM, Alex Hamann wrote:

> Am 25.09.2008 um 21:34 schrieb Maxwell, Adam R:
>
>> On 09/25/08 11:10, "Alex Hamann"
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Adding to my previous post: external groups do not display their
>>> content correctly for me.
>>
>> Can you be more specific?  What is not displayed correctly?  What
>> is the
>> encoding of the file?  Does it open correctly in a text editor?
>>

> Ok, this is how it goes:
> I have a large Bib-file with 2 external groups. I started adding
> about 20 new items. After doing that, I had a look at those external
> groups. They now displayed only those items I had just added to the
> main bib file. The actual content of the external files was gone (not
> in the file, just the way BibDesk showed them).
> When I tried to select the Library, again the content was incomplete.
> After reverting back to the latest official release it all displays
> correct.
>
> Alex

Still not clear what you're doing. Please specify where you look at
which file and to which one you add items and in which file/group with
which groups selected do you see what? (And if you're confused about
what is which, that's the point).

Also, what encoding is used for the various files, and in your
preferences?

Re: external groups

Alex Hamann

Am 25.09.2008 um 23:47 schrieb Christiaan Hofman:

> On 25 Sep 2008, at 10:23 PM, Alex Hamann wrote:
>

>> Am 25.09.2008 um 21:34 schrieb Maxwell, Adam R:

>>> Can you be more specific?  What is not displayed correctly?  What
>>> is the
>>> encoding of the file?  Does it open correctly in a text editor?
>>>

>> Ok, this is how it goes:
>> I have a large Bib-file with 2 external groups. I started adding
>> about 20 new items. After doing that, I had a look at those external
>> groups. They now displayed only those items I had just added to the
>> main bib file. The actual content of the external files was gone (not
>> in the file, just the way BibDesk showed them).
>> When I tried to select the Library, again the content was incomplete.
>> After reverting back to the latest official release it all displays
>> correct.
>>
>> Alex
>
> Still not clear what you're doing. Please specify where you look at
> which file and to which one you add items and in which file/group with
> which groups selected do you see what? (And if you're confused about
> what is which, that's the point).
>
> Also, what encoding is used for the various files, and in your
> preferences?
>
> Christiaan

I'll try:
let's call my main Bib file "x" . Main window. Left row has "Library"
as top folder. Underneath come two external groups (let's call them
"Ex1" and "Ex2") pointing to two smaller bib files. All files are
encoded in unicode.
I added items to x.
After adding those new items I selected Ex1 in the left row of the
main window. Ex1 now showed the items I had just just added to x.
Same happened when selecting Ex2. Clearly it should not do that: I
had not touched those external groups and the files they are pointing
to.

I am now back to the last official release. If needed I can try to
reproduce tomorrow.
Hth

Alex

Re: external groups

Adam R. Maxwell

On Thursday, September 25, 2008, at 01:23PM, "Alex Hamann" <[hidden email]> wrote:

>Am 25.09.2008 um 21:34 schrieb Maxwell, Adam R:
>
>> On 09/25/08 11:10, "Alex Hamann"
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Adding to my previous post: external groups do not display their
>>> content correctly for me.
>>
>> Can you be more specific?  What is not displayed correctly?  What
>> is the
>> encoding of the file?  Does it open correctly in a text editor?
>>

>Ok, this is how it goes:
>I have a large Bib-file with 2 external groups. I started adding
>about 20 new items. After doing that, I had a look at those external
>groups. They now displayed only those items I had just added to the
>main bib file. The actual content of the external files was gone (not
>in the file, just the way BibDesk showed them).
>When I tried to select the Library, again the content was incomplete.
>After reverting back to the latest official release it all displays
>correct.

Thanks, that was very clear, and you'll almost certainly see some exceptions if you look in the console log.  Sorry about that; I just checked in a fix for it.  There's was a subtle difference in the code I copied for the encoding fix.

Re: external groups

Alex Hamann

Am 26.09.2008 um 00:05 schrieb Adam R. Maxwell:

> On Thursday, September 25, 2008, at 01:23PM, "Alex Hamann"
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Am 25.09.2008 um 21:34 schrieb Maxwell, Adam R:

>>> Can you be more specific?  What is not displayed correctly?  What
>>> is the
>>> encoding of the file?  Does it open correctly in a text editor?
>>>

>> Ok, this is how it goes:
>> I have a large Bib-file with 2 external groups. I started adding
>> about 20 new items. After doing that, I had a look at those external
>> groups. They now displayed only those items I had just added to the
>> main bib file. The actual content of the external files was gone (not
>> in the file, just the way BibDesk showed them).
>> When I tried to select the Library, again the content was incomplete.
>> After reverting back to the latest official release it all displays
>> correct.
>
> Thanks, that was very clear, and you'll almost certainly see some
> exceptions if you look in the console log.  Sorry about that; I
> just checked in a fix for it.  There's was a subtle difference in
> the code I copied for the encoding fix.

Yes, the exceptions are there. Looking forward to test tomorrows
nightly.

Alex