Quantcast

folder organization / subfolders

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

folder organization / subfolders

Jan David Hauck
Hello everyone, 

I keep on bumping into the problem of how to organize my folders in BibDesk (i.e., mainly the "Static" folders in the sidebar which I use for different writing projects/chapters etc.).  The ideal would be, of course, subfolders but it doesn't look as if that was possible. There was a feature request "#195 allow group subfolders" but it seems to have been postponed till BibDesk 2 which seems to have been abandoned.  

So what I'd like to ask here, 
how are others handling a large amount of different bibliographies for different projects?  
Has anyone found a workaround to get a subfolder-like behavior?
Are you maybe using BibDesk together with some other programs?
Any ideas are greatly appreciated!

And then, for the developers, is there any way you guys could implement subfolders in the current BibDesk branch (a "grouping" folders feature or something)?  Since BibDesk lets us show/hide the different categories (smart, static, keywords etc.) I thought maybe it'd be possible instead of one "static groups" category to have multiple of those or would that be too complicated?  

Thanks a lot!  

Jan D. 




------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dive into the World of Parallel Programming The Go Parallel Website, sponsored
by Intel and developed in partnership with Slashdot Media, is your hub for all
things parallel software development, from weekly thought leadership blogs to
news, videos, case studies, tutorials and more. Take a look and join the
conversation now. http://goparallel.sourceforge.net/
_______________________________________________
Bibdesk-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/bibdesk-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: folder organization / subfolders

Ken Mankoff

How many folders do you have? How many of those are active projects?

I organize two ways, both based on the idea that I need <10 or some other managable number of current/active folders:

1) When I'm done with a project, change its name from, for example, "foo" to "z_foo". It moves to near the bottom. Now the list can grow down and I don't care, active folders are at the top.

2) When I'm done with a paper/project, I create a local bibliography that only contains the entries used in that project. I do that with "biber foo.tex --output_format bibtex".

This has several advantages: I can now add a local BibTeX file to my git system for that project. That project becomes self-reliant, not needing my global bib file. It doesn't matter if in the future I change my global bib file cite keys, I could still recompile that project. I can now delete that folder from my main bib file.

  -k.


On 2015-04-02 at 14:53, Jan David Hauck <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>
> I keep on bumping into the problem of how to organize my folders in BibDesk
> (i.e., mainly the "Static" folders in the sidebar which I use for different
> writing projects/chapters etc.).  The ideal would be, of course, subfolders
> but it doesn't look as if that was possible. There was a feature request
> "#195 allow group subfolders" but it seems to have been postponed till
> BibDesk 2 which seems to have been abandoned.
>
> So what I'd like to ask here,
> how are others handling a large amount of different bibliographies for
> different projects?
> Has anyone found a workaround to get a subfolder-like behavior?
> Are you maybe using BibDesk together with some other programs?
> Any ideas are greatly appreciated!
>
> And then, for the developers, is there any way you guys could implement
> subfolders in the current BibDesk branch (a "grouping" folders feature or
> something)?  Since BibDesk lets us show/hide the different categories
> (smart, static, keywords etc.) I thought maybe it'd be possible instead of
> one "static groups" category to have multiple of those or would that be too
> complicated?
>
> Thanks a lot!
>
> Jan D.
> ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> Dive into the World of Parallel Programming The Go Parallel Website, sponsored
> by Intel and developed in partnership with Slashdot Media, is your hub for all
> things parallel software development, from weekly thought leadership blogs to
> news, videos, case studies, tutorials and more. Take a look and join the
> conversation now. http://goparallel.sourceforge.net/_______________________________________________
> Bibdesk-users mailing list
> [hidden email]
> https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/bibdesk-users


------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dive into the World of Parallel Programming The Go Parallel Website, sponsored
by Intel and developed in partnership with Slashdot Media, is your hub for all
things parallel software development, from weekly thought leadership blogs to
news, videos, case studies, tutorials and more. Take a look and join the
conversation now. http://goparallel.sourceforge.net/
_______________________________________________
Bibdesk-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/bibdesk-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: folder organization / subfolders

Christiaan Hofman
In reply to this post by Jan David Hauck

On Apr 2, 2015, at 20:53, Jan David Hauck wrote:

Hello everyone, 

I keep on bumping into the problem of how to organize my folders in BibDesk (i.e., mainly the "Static" folders in the sidebar which I use for different writing projects/chapters etc.).  The ideal would be, of course, subfolders but it doesn't look as if that was possible. There was a feature request "#195 allow group subfolders" but it seems to have been postponed till BibDesk 2 which seems to have been abandoned.  

So what I'd like to ask here, 
how are others handling a large amount of different bibliographies for different projects?  
Has anyone found a workaround to get a subfolder-like behavior?
Are you maybe using BibDesk together with some other programs?
Any ideas are greatly appreciated!

And then, for the developers, is there any way you guys could implement subfolders in the current BibDesk branch (a "grouping" folders feature or something)?  Since BibDesk lets us show/hide the different categories (smart, static, keywords etc.) I thought maybe it'd be possible instead of one "static groups" category to have multiple of those or would that be too complicated?  

Thanks a lot!  

Jan D. 

No, it is not feasible to allow adding multiple static group (or folder groups). What you can do is add multiple group fields, which basically has the same effect. A group field acts like a folder, while a value of that field in any publication is like a group to which it belongs in that folder. You can add publications to such a group using drag and drop, or by editing the group field in a publication. To create a new "group" in the "folder", use Add Field to add the "folder" field to a publication, and set its value to the group

Christiaan


------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dive into the World of Parallel Programming The Go Parallel Website, sponsored
by Intel and developed in partnership with Slashdot Media, is your hub for all
things parallel software development, from weekly thought leadership blogs to
news, videos, case studies, tutorials and more. Take a look and join the
conversation now. http://goparallel.sourceforge.net/
_______________________________________________
Bibdesk-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/bibdesk-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: folder organization / subfolders

Jan David Hauck
Thank you Ken and Christiaan! 

Currently I am actually using a system fairly similar to what Ken suggested, but the other way around, instead of adding a z to finished projects I add up to three space characters to the beginning of current projects, depending on their relevance, which moves them to the top. 
(I have about 50 folders, number growing)

Now, what Christiaan suggested, I'm not sure if I've completely understood: 
So I've added the "Group" field to my default fields and then added the "Group" group to the sidebar.  But isn't that more or less the same like the static groups?  Only that it writes the folder name to the entry?  
Or do you mean I create a field called, let's say, "Dissertation" and another one "Articles" and so forth, and then into these fields I put "Chapter One" as the value, or the title of the article, etc.?  That would be somewhat of a workaround to selectively hide folders, but here I wouldn't be able to assign papers just to "Dissertation," let's say.   Also, it would be great to have more than just two levels, i.e., allow for subfolders of subfolders? 

So essentially I'm looking for something similar to how iTunes handles playlists.  iTunes assigns an ID to each playlist, and allows for parent playlists by adding a key for "parent persistent ID".  Since BibDesk uses (at least to my limited knowledge) a somewhat similar xml structure, is there really no way to implement something like that in BibDesk too? 

Thanks a lot!

Jan D.





On Thu, Apr 2, 2015 at 2:06 PM, Christiaan Hofman <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Apr 2, 2015, at 20:53, Jan David Hauck wrote:

Hello everyone, 

I keep on bumping into the problem of how to organize my folders in BibDesk (i.e., mainly the "Static" folders in the sidebar which I use for different writing projects/chapters etc.).  The ideal would be, of course, subfolders but it doesn't look as if that was possible. There was a feature request "#195 allow group subfolders" but it seems to have been postponed till BibDesk 2 which seems to have been abandoned.  

So what I'd like to ask here, 
how are others handling a large amount of different bibliographies for different projects?  
Has anyone found a workaround to get a subfolder-like behavior?
Are you maybe using BibDesk together with some other programs?
Any ideas are greatly appreciated!

And then, for the developers, is there any way you guys could implement subfolders in the current BibDesk branch (a "grouping" folders feature or something)?  Since BibDesk lets us show/hide the different categories (smart, static, keywords etc.) I thought maybe it'd be possible instead of one "static groups" category to have multiple of those or would that be too complicated?  

Thanks a lot!  

Jan D. 

No, it is not feasible to allow adding multiple static group (or folder groups). What you can do is add multiple group fields, which basically has the same effect. A group field acts like a folder, while a value of that field in any publication is like a group to which it belongs in that folder. You can add publications to such a group using drag and drop, or by editing the group field in a publication. To create a new "group" in the "folder", use Add Field to add the "folder" field to a publication, and set its value to the group

Christiaan


------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dive into the World of Parallel Programming The Go Parallel Website, sponsored
by Intel and developed in partnership with Slashdot Media, is your hub for all
things parallel software development, from weekly thought leadership blogs to
news, videos, case studies, tutorials and more. Take a look and join the
conversation now. http://goparallel.sourceforge.net/
_______________________________________________
Bibdesk-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/bibdesk-users



------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dive into the World of Parallel Programming The Go Parallel Website, sponsored
by Intel and developed in partnership with Slashdot Media, is your hub for all
things parallel software development, from weekly thought leadership blogs to
news, videos, case studies, tutorials and more. Take a look and join the
conversation now. http://goparallel.sourceforge.net/
_______________________________________________
Bibdesk-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/bibdesk-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: folder organization / subfolders

Christiaan Hofman

On Apr 3, 2015, at 0:59, Jan David Hauck wrote:

Thank you Ken and Christiaan! 

Currently I am actually using a system fairly similar to what Ken suggested, but the other way around, instead of adding a z to finished projects I add up to three space characters to the beginning of current projects, depending on their relevance, which moves them to the top. 
(I have about 50 folders, number growing)

Now, what Christiaan suggested, I'm not sure if I've completely understood: 
So I've added the "Group" field to my default fields

Adding it as a default field is not really necessary.

and then added the "Group" group to the sidebar. 

Yes, that's what i am talking about, adding a group field through Add Group Field. Though you can call it whatever you want (though without spaces and other special characters). 

But isn't that more or less the same like the static groups?  Only that it writes the folder name to the entry?  

It has essentially the same effect, yes, that's what I said. But the point is that while "Static" is unique and fixed, instead of "Group" you can use anything you like and you can add any number of them, as if it is a folder.

Or do you mean I create a field called, let's say, "Dissertation" and another one "Articles" and so forth, and then into these fields I put "Chapter One" as the value, or the title of the article, etc.?  That would be somewhat of a workaround to selectively hide folders, but here I wouldn't be able to assign papers just to "Dissertation," let's say.   Also, it would be great to have more than just two levels, i.e., allow for subfolders of subfolders? 


More levels is not possible.

So essentially I'm looking for something similar to how iTunes handles playlists.  iTunes assigns an ID to each playlist, and allows for parent playlists by adding a key for "parent persistent ID".  Since BibDesk uses (at least to my limited knowledge) a somewhat similar xml structure, is there really no way to implement something like that in BibDesk too? 


No, we won't abuse the bibtex comments even more than we already do. And moreover it would not be backwards compatible. The whole point is that while iTunes defines its own format, BibDesk doesn't.

Christiaan

Thanks a lot!

Jan D.





On Thu, Apr 2, 2015 at 2:06 PM, Christiaan Hofman <[hidden email]> wrote:

On Apr 2, 2015, at 20:53, Jan David Hauck wrote:

Hello everyone, 

I keep on bumping into the problem of how to organize my folders in BibDesk (i.e., mainly the "Static" folders in the sidebar which I use for different writing projects/chapters etc.).  The ideal would be, of course, subfolders but it doesn't look as if that was possible. There was a feature request "#195 allow group subfolders" but it seems to have been postponed till BibDesk 2 which seems to have been abandoned.  

So what I'd like to ask here, 
how are others handling a large amount of different bibliographies for different projects?  
Has anyone found a workaround to get a subfolder-like behavior?
Are you maybe using BibDesk together with some other programs?
Any ideas are greatly appreciated!

And then, for the developers, is there any way you guys could implement subfolders in the current BibDesk branch (a "grouping" folders feature or something)?  Since BibDesk lets us show/hide the different categories (smart, static, keywords etc.) I thought maybe it'd be possible instead of one "static groups" category to have multiple of those or would that be too complicated?  

Thanks a lot!  

Jan D. 

No, it is not feasible to allow adding multiple static group (or folder groups). What you can do is add multiple group fields, which basically has the same effect. A group field acts like a folder, while a value of that field in any publication is like a group to which it belongs in that folder. You can add publications to such a group using drag and drop, or by editing the group field in a publication. To create a new "group" in the "folder", use Add Field to add the "folder" field to a publication, and set its value to the group

Christiaan


------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dive into the World of Parallel Programming The Go Parallel Website, sponsored
by Intel and developed in partnership with Slashdot Media, is your hub for all
things parallel software development, from weekly thought leadership blogs to
news, videos, case studies, tutorials and more. Take a look and join the
conversation now. http://goparallel.sourceforge.net/
_______________________________________________
Bibdesk-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/bibdesk-users
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|  
Report Content as Inappropriate

Re: folder organization / subfolders

Marshall Feldman
In reply to this post by Jan David Hauck
Currently I use Zotero to organize my references. Since I do most of my LaTeX writing in LyX, I use the LyZ plugin to LyX to integrate Zotero and LyX.

With this setup, I create a separate BibTeX bib file for each writing project and use BibDesk when I need to work directly with the bib file.

Hope this helps.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dive into the World of Parallel Programming The Go Parallel Website, sponsored
by Intel and developed in partnership with Slashdot Media, is your hub for all
things parallel software development, from weekly thought leadership blogs to
news, videos, case studies, tutorials and more. Take a look and join the
conversation now. http://goparallel.sourceforge.net/
_______________________________________________
Bibdesk-users mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.sourceforge.net/lists/listinfo/bibdesk-users
Loading...