newbie metadata question

Antonio Fortin
Hi all,

If you’ve got a PDF in BibDesk with no (useful) metadata whatsoever, what’s the easiest method to fill it out? At the moment, I’m using one of the built-in searches, importing the citation as a new publication, dropping the PDF onto that entry, and then deleting the original one.

I’m sure there’s a better way, but I can’t work it out. Any tips? Thanks.

—Antonio

Re: newbie metadata question

Enrico Pirani
What I do is to drop (from the Finder) the downloaded pdf directly in Bibdesk without importing
the bib data (most of the time PDFs are already injected with all metadata). If you are unlucky you
you can easily import the bib reference and after you can add,modify,delete all
the entries you like.

Re: newbie metadata question

Antonio Fortin
The problem I have is that, when I import the metadata (say, from GScholar) it creates a new publication, instead of filling in the metadata for the existing PDF. So then, I have to copy the PDF to the new entry and delete the old one.

So, rephrasing my question: is there any way to directly import the metadata from GScholar onto an existing publication in BibDesk? Thanks.

--Antonio

On 3 Oct 2014, at 17:10, Enrico Pirani <[hidden email]> wrote:

> What I do is to drop (from the Finder) the downloaded pdf directly in Bibdesk without importing
> the bib data (most of the time PDFs are already injected with all metadata). If you are unlucky you
> you can easily import the bib reference and after you can add,modify,delete all
> the entries you like.

Re: newbie metadata question

Enrico Pirani
Simply drag and drop the reference to the target desired ...

Re: newbie metadata question

Antonio Fortin
Sorry if these are stupid questions, but I’m new to BibDesk.

How do you do that? When I’ve got a reference I want to import in GScholar, my Library isn’t visible (the “External” group is selected in the sidebar), so I can’t drag and drop a reference onto the target.

—Antonio

On 3 Oct 2014, at 19:55, Enrico Pirani <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Simply drag and drop the reference to the target desired ...

Re: newbie metadata question

Enrico Pirani
You should go back to your library window (click in the upper left button under 'GROUPS') and drag the reference/pdf or whatever
you want. You can go back to your search after that operation. Hope it will
help.

Re: newbie metadata question

Antonio Fortin
As far as I can see, you can’t have a reference in GScholar AND your library visible at the same time, so it’s impossible to drag/drop one onto the other, if I’ve understood you correctly.

I think I may have figured out how to do it, however (but please correct me if I’m wrong): you first open the Editor window for your PDF, and then search for the BibTeX record, which you can then drag onto the Editor window (after a bit of window juggling).

Is this the easiest way to do it?

—Antonio