Quantcast

orphaned file search

Jan David Hauck
Hello,

I recently did an orphaned file search since my my mac had messed up some files and created duplicates of some of my pdfs after some home folder permissions issue related to a cloud storage folder.  I quickly wanted to find the duplicates but unfortunately Bibdesk didn't find only those but gave me an entire list of the hundreds of skim files that sit in the same folders (I automatically save those Skim note backups with the pdfs).

So here my question:
Is there a way to have Bibdesk in the orphaned file search only show pdfs or, more specifically, an option to ignore skim-files as long as a pdf with the same name exists?

Thanks,

Jan

Re: orphaned file search

Christiaan Hofman

On Mar 16, 2015, at 6:43, Jan David Hauck wrote:

Hello,

I recently did an orphaned file search since my my mac had messed up some files and created duplicates of some of my pdfs after some home folder permissions issue related to a cloud storage folder.  I quickly wanted to find the duplicates but unfortunately Bibdesk didn't find only those but gave me an entire list of the hundreds of skim files that sit in the same folders (I automatically save those Skim note backups with the pdfs).

So here my question:
Is there a way to have Bibdesk in the orphaned file search only show pdfs or, more specifically, an option to ignore skim-files as long as a pdf with the same name exists?

Thanks,

Jan

No, there's no way to do this.

Re: orphaned file search

Jan Jakob Bornheim
A workaround:

When you choose to autofile, BibDesk seems to move the PDF and the corresponding Skim file. So what you could do is temporarily change the folder files get filed to, autofile all publications in your database, and delete the remaining files in the old folder. Then change the autofile location back to the old setting and auto-file all publications once again to move them back. Might want to turn off the cloud syncing part while doing this.

Cheers

Jan Jakob

On Mar 16, 2015, at 11:52, Christiaan Hofman wrote:

On Mar 16, 2015, at 6:43, Jan David Hauck wrote:

Hello,

I recently did an orphaned file search since my my mac had messed up some files and created duplicates of some of my pdfs after some home folder permissions issue related to a cloud storage folder.  I quickly wanted to find the duplicates but unfortunately Bibdesk didn't find only those but gave me an entire list of the hundreds of skim files that sit in the same folders (I automatically save those Skim note backups with the pdfs).

So here my question:
Is there a way to have Bibdesk in the orphaned file search only show pdfs or, more specifically, an option to ignore skim-files as long as a pdf with the same name exists?

Thanks,

Jan

No, there's no way to do this.

Christiaan

Though an approximation could be to use the search field with the term ".skim" and check "Hide Matches" from the search menu (clicking the looking glass icon).