"Duplicate Title Field to Booktitle" broken?

"Duplicate Title Field to Booktitle" broken?

la_tristesse
Hi there, i'm trying to use the "Duplicate Title Field to Booktitle" feature in the prefpane of bibdesk. I activated it and also the option to "overwrite booktitle". Now if I add a new book item and then make a crossref to a new incolletion item the title isnt copied to booktitle. I'm doing everything as decribed and followed the steps at the manual and the FAQ. Is it possible that the feature is broken? I'm using 10.8.2 with BibDesk Version 1.6.0 (2779). Any suggestions?

Re: "Duplicate Title Field to Booktitle" broken?

Christiaan Hofman

On Mar 25, 2013, at 10:58, la_tristesse wrote:

Hi there, i'm trying to use the "Duplicate Title Field to Booktitle" feature in the prefpane of bibdesk. I activated it and also the option to "overwrite booktitle". Now if I add a new book item and then make a crossref to a new incolletion item the title isnt copied to booktitle. I'm doing everything as decribed and followed the steps at the manual and the FAQ. Is it possible that the feature is broken? I'm using 10.8.2 with BibDesk Version 1.6.0 (2779). Any suggestions?

As you describe it, this appears to work as expected. The booktitle is copied only when you explicitly set the title from the UI. You don't say that you do that.

Re: "Duplicate Title Field to Booktitle" broken?

la_tristesse
This is kind of hard to understand. If I for example import a database book entry into my bibdesk-file, I will have to change the Title of that entry manually in order to use it as a parent and to duplicate the title to the booktitle of a crossref. Did I get it right?

On Mar 25, 2013, at 12:54, la_tristesse wrote:

> This is kind of hard to understand. If I for example import a database book
> entry into my bibdesk-file, I will have to change the Title of that entry
> manually in order to use it as a parent and to duplicate the title to the
> booktitle of a crossref. Did I get it right?

Yes. Crossrefs are only used for lookup.