retroactive problems?

Gray, Wayne
All,

I have a problem that I hope will be temporary but which I would like to understand.

The problem is that whenever I try to open a BibDesk entry, it crashes on me. Before I describe the circumstances let me tell you why I "hope" this will be temporary.

1. Currently my Mac Laptop (my home machine) running 10.9.2 is having a logic board replaced.
2. My loaner machine is a Mac Laptop running 10.8.5.

3. From my Time Machine backups I have loaded my various BibDesk archives onto the loaner including the pdf library.

4. However, I installed LaTeX from the sourceforge site and am using the version of BibDesk that was installed with that.

5. Finally, I wasn't doing much with LaTeX or BibDesk the first two days but as time has dragged on, I have begun trying to use LaTeX the way I usually do (i.e.., daily, hourly, minutely) . . .

I can imagine that being on a strange machine with different pathnames to the .pdfs and, perhaps, with a different operating system has confused things.

The crashes are reliability reproducible. Let me describe the simplest circumstances.

First -- when I open a new bibdesk file (such as one generated by downloading a citation from a journal to my desktop), I am getting this message:

``Local File and URL fields have been automatically converted''

``These fields are being deprecated.  BibDesk now uses a more flexible storage format in place of these fields.  Choose "Verify" to manually verify the conversion and optionally remove the old fields.  Conversion can be done at any time from the "Database" menu.  See the Defaults preferences for more options.''

When I select "verify" I get a windoid titled: "Convert Files and URLs" that has three check marks at its top:

Keep Local File fields
Keep Remote URL fields
Selected publications

but it has NOTHING in the body (where there is room for a list of items under three headings -- File, Publication, Error).

And there is a button that says "Convert". Right now clicking that box returns the message: "Converted 0 files or URLs".

Trying to open the one entry (by double-clicking on it) in this single-entry BibDesk file results in the crash.

NOTE that this is the same behavior I observe when I try to open an entry from my 2000 entry main BibDesk file. The only difference is that BibDesk complains in the error list about too many commas in name fields and about quotes (i.e., ") in other fields. As my large BibDesk files worked fine before I switched computers and as the new very small files show essentially the same crash behavior as the old very large files, it must be a problem with my installation but I have no idea what.

So -- whatever is happening is not "library specific" but general to old and new libraries on this machine.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Wayne

Re: retroactive problems?

Christiaan Hofman

On Apr 4, 2014, at 16:53, Gray, Wayne wrote:

> All,
>
> I have a problem that I hope will be temporary but which I would like to understand.
>
> The problem is that whenever I try to open a BibDesk entry, it crashes on me. Before I describe the circumstances let me tell you why I "hope" this will be temporary.
>
> 1. Currently my Mac Laptop (my home machine) running 10.9.2 is having a logic board replaced.
> 2. My loaner machine is a Mac Laptop running 10.8.5.
>
> 3. From my Time Machine backups I have loaded my various BibDesk archives onto the loaner including the pdf library.
>
> 4. However, I installed LaTeX from the sourceforge site and am using the version of BibDesk that was installed with that.

You really should get a current version of BibDesk. Old versions can have bugs that may be responsible for this crasher.

> 5. Finally, I wasn't doing much with LaTeX or BibDesk the first two days but as time has dragged on, I have begun trying to use LaTeX the way I usually do (i.e.., daily, hourly, minutely) . . .
>
> I can imagine that being on a strange machine with different pathnames to the .pdfs and, perhaps, with a different operating system has confused things.
>
> The crashes are reliability reproducible. Let me describe the simplest circumstances.
>
> First -- when I open a new bibdesk file (such as one generated by downloading a citation from a journal to my desktop), I am getting this message:
>
> ``Local File and URL fields have been automatically converted''
>
> ``These fields are being deprecated.  BibDesk now uses a more flexible storage format in place of these fields.  Choose "Verify" to manually verify the conversion and optionally remove the old fields.  Conversion can be done at any time from the "Database" menu.  See the Defaults preferences for more options.''
>
> When I select "verify" I get a windoid titled: "Convert Files and URLs" that has three check marks at its top:
>
> Keep Local File fields
> Keep Remote URL fields
> Selected publications
>
> but it has NOTHING in the body (where there is room for a list of items under three headings -- File, Publication, Error).

It should be empty initially, this will contain information about any error that may occur after the conversion process.

> And there is a button that says "Convert". Right now clicking that box returns the message: "Converted 0 files or URLs".
>
> Trying to open the one entry (by double-clicking on it) in this single-entry BibDesk file results in the crash.

This file conversion stuff seems all a red herring, it seems irrelevant to the question. This will just happen initially for a new configuration, but has nothing to do with the crash.

The crash is just occurring when you open an item (no matter from which place you do that.) So that's the only relevant action, it seems to me.

> NOTE that this is the same behavior I observe when I try to open an entry from my 2000 entry main BibDesk file. The only difference is that BibDesk complains in the error list about too many commas in name fields and about quotes (i.e., ") in other fields. As my large BibDesk files worked fine before I switched computers and as the new very small files show essentially the same crash behavior as the old very large files, it must be a problem with my installation but I have no idea what.

My best guess is an old buggy BibDesk version.

> So -- whatever is happening is not "library specific" but general to old and new libraries on this machine.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Wayne

I cannot say much about what causes the crash. Please update BibDesk to version 1.6.2. Also, in order to say anything about the crash I really need to see a crash report.