vancouver style and LyX

Daniele Pontillo-2
hello everyone!
Firstly, I am sure Christiaan is going to yell at me, and I really hate this…I’d love he could more patient with me, just as I am with my patients and coworkers.
The issue is:
when importing any kind of citation from a medical journal (as per bibtex format) my publication fields are filled with the full surname AND NAME of authors, whereas I get a correct vancouver output on my preview pane showing the initials of author names.
However, this behaviour is nor reproducible whenever I cite to LyX. And only to LyX, since all the other TeX editors do the job flawlwssly.
In summary, my LyX-generated  pdf file shows long names, and I need only abbreviated names.
Can anyone help me out?

Re: vancouver style and LyX

gweltaz
* Skriv a reas Daniele Pontillo ([hidden email]):

  |>  The issue is:
  |>  when importing any kind of citation from a medical journal (as per bibtex format) my publication fields are filled with the full surname AND NAME of authors, whereas I get a correct vancouver output on my preview pane showing the initials of author names.
  |>  However, this behaviour is nor reproducible whenever I cite to LyX. And only to LyX, since all the other TeX editors do the job flawlwssly.
  |>  In summary, my LyX-generated  pdf file shows long names, and I need only abbreviated names.
  |>  Can anyone help me out?

This seems to be a TeX question. If you can use biblatex and biber in LyX for LaTeX production of the pdf, you can add firstinits to the options for biblatex, as in:
\usepackage[firstinits,authortitle]{biblatex}
\addbibresource{yourbib.bib}

After checking the LyX wiki at http://wiki.lyx.org/BibTeX/Biblatex however, I realize this may be more involved than I initially thought it to be.
--Gildas

Re: vancouver style and LyX

Adam R. Maxwell

> On Mar 1, 2015, at 11:59 , Daniele Pontillo <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> However, this behaviour is nor reproducible whenever I cite to LyX. And only to LyX, since all the other TeX editors do the job flawlwssly.
> In summary, my LyX-generated  pdf file shows long names, and I need only abbreviated names.
> Can anyone help me out?

Sounds like LyX isn’t using vancouver style, then. You’d need to look at the underlying .tex code and see what’s going on, I think; I’ve not messed around with LyX in years.

Adam