webloc thumbs

Januzzz
Hey all,

if I remember correctly, the webloc files in the sidebar for DOIs/web pages associated with an entry were shown as thumbs of the associated website once, now I only get the standard webloc icon for all of them.

Is there a way to have them been displayed as preview of the webpage?

Thanks,

Janosch

Re: webloc thumbs

Christiaan Hofman

On May 12, 2015, at 10:15, Janosch Linkersdörfer wrote:

Hey all,

if I remember correctly, the webloc files in the sidebar for DOIs/web pages associated with an entry were shown as thumbs of the associated website once, now I only get the standard webloc icon for all of them.

Is there a way to have them been displayed as preview of the webpage?

Thanks,

Janosch

we have disabled them on newer OS systems, because there was a nasty crasher with webkit that was impossible to figure out. You can enable them using a hidden preference, the details are explained on the Wiki.

Re: webloc thumbs

Januzzz
OK, thanks! Which hidden preference is it? FVWebIconDisabled?

Executing "defaults write edu.ucsd.cs.mmccrack.bibdesk FVWebIconDisabled true/false" does not seem to change anything.

Thanks,

Janosch

Re: webloc thumbs

Christiaan Hofman

On May 18, 2015, at 15:29, Januzzz wrote:

OK, thanks! Which hidden preference is it? FVWebIconDisabled?

Executing "defaults write edu.ucsd.cs.mmccrack.bibdesk FVWebIconDisabled
true/false" does not seem to change anything.

Thanks,

Janosch

Yes, that one. But you need to do pass "-bool true", not just "true" (that's interpreted as a string, not a boolean).

Re: webloc thumbs

Januzzz
OK, I executed

defaults write edu.ucsd.cs.mmccrack.bibdesk FVWebIconDisabled -bool true

without any effects. Do I need to do anything else besides relaunching BibDesk?

Thanks,

Janosch

Re: webloc thumbs

Christiaan Hofman

On May 18, 2015, at 15:51, Januzzz wrote:

OK, I executed

defaults write edu.ucsd.cs.mmccrack.bibdesk FVWebIconDisabled -bool true

without any effects. Do I need to do anything else besides relaunching
BibDesk?

Thanks,

Janosch

You seem to be right, this default does not seem to be used. I guess it is outdated. Instead you need to set the preference FVWebIconMaximumNumberOfWebViews, which is an integer between 0 and 50. You could use 5, that is the default on older systems, 0 disables them. So:

defaults write edu.ucsd.cs.mmccrack.bibdesk FVWebIconMaximumNumberOfWebViews -int 5

Re: webloc thumbs

Januzzz
That worked, thanks!