why does it crash so often?

Masso Chailly
Hi.

I’ve been using BibDesk quite a while. From some point, it crashes increasingly often. Now I can even reproduce, at least, one instance of crash: about 10 repeated presses of next-entry (arrow down) or previous-entry (arrow up) keys cause the crash.

Is it only the case for me?

For your reference, my OS X version is El Capitan (10.11.4) but I remember it was crashing quite a lot on earlier OS X versions as well.

Any suggestion to improve my experience with BibDesk will be appreciated.

Masso

Re: why does it crash so often?

Fischlin  Andreas
Dear Masso,

I cannot confirm that observation, however I am using mostly older OS X versions, currently mostly OS X 10.9.5 (Mavericks).

Given my long experience with BibDesk, one of the best programs out there in terms of reliability and robust functioning, I suspect a specific problem with your setup or even perhaps your BibTeX file. Perhaps you test, whether you can repeat this crash by using a virgin account on your very same system. If you can’t repeat the crash, this points at a specific system configuration, which causes the crash. If you switch to a different BibTeX file and can no longer repeat the crash, this points at a problem with your specific BibTeX file. Perhaps these hints help you to narrow it down.

Regards,
Andreas

ETH Zurich
Prof. em. Dr. Andreas Fischlin
Systems Ecology - Institute of Biogeochemistry and Pollutant Dynamics
CHN E 24
Universitaetstrasse 16
8092 Zurich
SWITZERLAND

+41 44 633-6090 phone
+41 44 633-1136 fax
+41 79 595-4050 mobile

             Make it as simple as possible, but distrust it!

On Mar 30, 2016, at 10:33, Masso Chailly <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi.

I’ve been using BibDesk quite a while. From some point, it crashes increasingly often. Now I can even reproduce, at least, one instance of crash: about 10 repeated presses of next-entry (arrow down) or previous-entry (arrow up) keys cause the crash.

Is it only the case for me?

For your reference, my OS X version is El Capitan (10.11.4) but I remember it was crashing quite a lot on earlier OS X versions as well.

Any suggestion to improve my experience with BibDesk will be appreciated.

Masso

What do the crash reports in Console.app say? Do they refer to webkit in the trace for the crash thread? Do you have (many) linked remote URLs?

Perhaps the following will help. Type the following line in Terminal.app (when BibDesk is not running):

defaults write -app BibDesk FVWebIconMaximumNumberOfWebViews -int 0

HTH,

Re: why does it crash so often?

Masso Chailly
Your prescription seems to work! At least, repeated pressing of arrow-up/down keys has not caused any crash so far. Thanks a lot!

For your reference:

1. My BibTeX file indeed contains a lot of remote URLs.

2. I haven’t looked at the long OS X crash report, but the Console.app generated the following message:

2016/03/30 8:21:08.430 PM BibDesk[3530]: *** -[NSConditionLock unlockWithCondition:]: lock (<NSConditionLock: 0x10d13bfb0> '(null)') unlocked when not locked
2016/03/30 8:21:08.430 PM BibDesk[3530]: *** Break on _NSLockError() to debug.

Many thanks again!

Masso